Building Envelope Protection = Property & Life Protection:
During a severe weather event, the most critical factor for increasing the chances of a building’s survival is protection of all the openings to the outside. Once the wind enters the structure, the pressure changes lead to disastrous results.
Impact testing simulates windborne debris striking a window during a hurricane. Within the laboratory setting, this is done by firing a 2×4 projectile at predetermined locations on the window and seeing if there is any penetration.
The cycling portion of the testing ensures that a window having withstood impact by the 2×4 can then stand up to the rapid increases and decreases in pressure within the building during a hurricane. Within the laboratory setting, this is done by introducing 9,000 cycles of differing pressures to the impacted unit.
Benefits of Impact & Cycling / Hurricane Testing:
- Ensures consistent product quality
- Fair product comparisons
- Informed product selection
- Performance standards compliance – TDI, Miami-Dade, FL, etc.
- Property and life protection
- Highlight new technology & refinement
- Display a product’s benefits
- Accurate, unbiased results
- Streamlined research & development process
- Uniform code compliance requirements